The MSPT is the largest proving ground owned by any OEM in India, spanning across 454 acres
Mahindra and Mahindra has opened its state-of-the-art SUV proving ground in the Kanchipuram district of Tamil Nadu. Named the Mahindra SUV Proving Track (MSPT), the ground has been designed by experts from IDIADA (‘Institut d’Investigació Aplicada de l’Automòbil’, roughly translating to Institute for Applied Automotive Research), a company specialized in designing proving grounds and with a pedigree of over 50 years in the same. The track is 55 kilometers away from the Mahindra Research Valley (MRV) in Chennai and also stands out for being the largest and the most comprehensive proving track owned by any OEM in India.
The MSPT spans over a geographic area of 454 acres (on a more familiar note, around the size of 325 soccer fields) and has facilities and infrastructure for extensive road and offroad testing of Mahindra vehicles. There are dedicated areas for high-speed testing, cornering, and simulating other road scenarios, and a dedicated, specially curated off-road track to push the limits of M&M SUVs. This 4X4 center will be open to off-road junkies (just customers obviously) sometime in the second half of 2022, as per reports. MRV’s engineers would use the facility to extensively test and analyze the new products and prototypes in the future. Mahindra has invested over Rs 510 crores in this facility.
MSPT: Key Highlights
The Mahindra SUV Proving track (MSPT) has 20 purpose-built tracks, capable of putting almost every aspect of a prototype to extensive testing. The major tracks and terrains included are:'
- Zero Percent Slope High speed track with 43.7 degree parabolic banking, for neutral speed testing. The straight here can have the car clock upto 200 kph.
- A 2 km straight with 11 meter width and zero percent longitudinal slope for testing performance and coast down. ‘
- A circular dynamic platform with 250 meter dia for testing the overall dynamics.
- An extensive brake testing area with numerous surfaces and simulated dry and wet conditions. These puts the likes of ABS, ESP and TCS to rigorous tests.
- A track with all sorts of bad-road surfaces like potholes, undulations, Belgian pavement, cobble stones, rumblers, etc.
- Simulated rain, water wading, dust storms (inside a chamber ofcourse) and water splashes for added ‘realism’ in tests.
- Corrosion testing facility
- A 4X4 Adventure track with 25+ obstacles, and terrains like 7/11/18/35 degree slopes, drive-thru forests, riverbeds, mud, slush, sand, rock, etc.
- Exclusive prototype workshops, health center and a large admin tower.
- The facility has its own fuel station as well.
Let’s get social! Follow Vroom Head India On Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Whatsapp, and LinkedIn